The facade of the Electric Picture Palace, designed by John Bennett to reflect the styles of 1912, is a far cry from the cart shed and hayloft that previously stood here until 2000. The first Southwold Cinema opened in 1912 in York Road – a very short distance away – and was also called The Electric Picture Palace.
The Electric Picture Palace is owned and run by Southwold Film Society and holds a Wedding Licence. If you would like to hire this venue for a wedding please do get in touch with the Box Office for further details. It is also available for private party cinema occasions and has 70 authentic cinema seats, a box office, kiosk, circle, organ, air-conditioning, etc., plus space for a wheelchair.
The Electric Picture Palace shows films in ‘Seasons’ throughout the year (Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter Seasons), with a short break in between each Season. Southwold Film Society members receive a printed programme/newsletter ahead of the start of each Season and can book seats in advance in person, by post or by telephone. Seat prices are £6 Stalls, £7 Circle.
Tours of the Electric Picture Palace
Tours last about an hour and are usually conducted on Sundays at 2:30pm whilst the cinema is closed between Film Seasons. Cost is £5 adult and £2 child. Check with the Box Office for details of these and of Special Tours if under 5 people.